Friday, July 24, 2009

The Other Side

.
"You have one minute to convince me to let you walk out of here alive, Jeremy."

He swallowed, shifty eyes zipping to every corner of the dimly lit room, looking for any sort of escape. Of course, there was none. The two men standing behind my desk had enough ammunition on them to reduce Jeremy to something resembling shredded pink cheese. And he knew that. One of the dogs growled, making Jeremy take a desperate little breath.

"Begin", I said, quietly,

"It was him. He showed up just as the ships were leaving the dock. I don't know how he did it. I mean, I do know. But not really-"

"Shut up!"

William took a step forward but stopped as I raised my hand. Jeremy flinched and went three shades paler. I didn't think it was possible.

"Who was it?", I said, keeping my eyes locked on to Jeremy's.

"The... the white soldier guy."

"The white soldier guy?"

"I dunno what he calls himself. But that's what he looks like. Look, I swear we didn't know anything. The deal was all worked out using the codes and numbers told to us. No one else knew."

"Except the one who sank two of our ships?"

Jeremy had stopped looking like he was going to cry. The sudden blank look in his eyes wasn't something I wanted to deal with right now.

"Go to your room."

"Huhn?" He looked stunned.

"Just go. I'll deal with you later."

He looked at me blankly for a minute before swaying to the door. William followed him out quietly. I didn't have to tell him to be careful. Everyone knew what part they had to play.


(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment