Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lives and Dreams

"Row, Row, Row your boat
Gently down the Stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily;
Life is but a dream..."

I suppose surrealism is hard to escape when you're already unsure about the difference between dreaming and staying awake. I blame the insane sleeping hours. I could blame a lot of other things, but this shall do for now. Then again, it's not exactly a bad thing. An "odd dream-like quality" sounds nice enough.

I slept from after breakfast to before dinner today. There goes Sunday. Spent completely in Morpheus's realm. It's okay. I had a few decent dreams. At least from what I can remember. There was good music, new places, a sun rise and even enough cigarettes. And the people were interesting too.

I prefer waking up from nightmares over supremely happy dreams. I think everyone does. Or should anyway. Once you wake up from a nightmare, there's nothing but relief waiting for you. Relief that none of it was real. On the other hand, waking up from a dream where everything is going fine is just sad. I once had a dream where the whole world made sense. (Well, not once I woke up, but at least while I was in it!) Everything was almost perfect! Lillin woke me up from it and it took ten minutes of conversation before the realization hit me: None of it was real.
Not cool.

I've always wondered about the whole life-dream angle. IF life were just a dream, then could you just pass from one dream to another mid-way? Would that be a parallel universe? Or is it necessary that you wake up? And if it is, is dying the only way you have?

If life was just a dream... how would you feel waking from it? Would you be glad? Relieved? Sad? Devastated?
Would you even remember at all?

6 comments:

  1. Haha, dude I know exactly what you are saying...I had this dream a while ago, about the shroom peddler...I dreamt he was in Delhi and had sent me a note through the watchman from somewhere with his phone number

    I finally woke up and I looked for the note for around 5 minutes before realizing it was just a dream...Dang, these 'realistic' dreams are weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah dude!

    In one of my dreams, there was this really hot guy with purple shades. And when I woke up, he didn't even exist. Sigh, That was tragic. And devastating.
    :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, I sometimes get a similar feeling.. but not by dreams, by reflections. What if the other side of the mirror is the real world and I am just the reflection, that sort of thing. Had this ever since I heard the concept in some anime I don't remember.

    It's a pretty insecure thought to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, yeah. Or the feeling you get when you think there's an entire alternate universe through that mirror and the only time you and your other self do the same thing is when you're in front of the mirror!

    Through the looking glass. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaargh, psychos...I don't need to hear such things, damn! This is mind fucking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look in the mirror Sir Loon. What do you see?

    You can fool us with all the world's witty answers, but can you fool yourself?

    More importantly, can you fool your reflection?

    ReplyDelete